Monday, August 18, 2008

Joys of Motherhood?

One of the joys of motherhood is watching your babies grow up. One of the heartaches of motherhood is watching your babies grow up and leave the nest. These past couple of weeks have been filled with both joy and heartache for me. Our boys are both in college. One lives in Florida and we are hoping for a visit down south in September. It's hard having him so far away. The other is now a sophomore at this Big 10 school.

Since he lived in a dorm last year the move to school didn't seem as final as this year. Here is a picture of our sweet kid #2. See that piece of paper in his hand, it's a lease for an apartment.

He was so excited (until he saw mom with the camera in her hands). We had loaded up our van and his car and set out for the new digs. We spent the next two days getting his room all set up. It's really hard driving off wondering if he'll ever be back home again for anything other than a visit. Sweet Kid #1 in Florida doesn't get up this way too often and we haven't gotten down there yet. (Hopefully in September!!). Driving away I decided I needed to drown my sorrows so I stopped and got one of these.
YUM-O!! It helped but only slightly! I got home in time to make the County Fair Battle of the bands. Our sweet kid #3 is on the front line kneeling. This is her senior year. Bittersweet!



Hopefully, I'll dig my way out of this "semi-empty nest" funk and get some sewing done soon. At least the Olympics are keeping us distracted. Go USA!!
Thanks for stopping by.
Happy Quilting!!

4 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

I love that empty nest picture -- you KNOW you have my sympathies. I think all of us empty nesters should have that picture on our blogs LOL!

Melanie said...

I needed this post. We take our daughter to school on Thursday. While kids do not validate your existence, it's definitely a different feeling when they move out from under your roof. They are still a phone call away...but I kind of have that lump in my throat feeling...It's nice to know others are going through the same feeling....

Unknown said...

Oh, my gosh. My oldest is about to start his senior year of high school. He is thinking about colleges now. High school has gone by WAY too fast for me.
http://thelittleredhen.typepad.com

Beth Macre said...

I couldn't agree with your thoughts more. Our youngest just left for the first time and the oldest just moved out again. Its bittersweet and much harder than I thought!