Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Speaking Out about Loss

Wow!!  Here it is September 1st.  I love fall!!!  Not that it feels too much like fall yet but I love the changing colors of the leaves and the cool, crisp fall temperatures where you can turn off the a/c and enjoy the fresh air blowing through the open windows; having to add an extra blanket to the bed because you won't close the windows at night; having to switch out wardrobes because now you need sweaters and long-sleeves.  I just love fall!!!

So much has been going on around here this past "silent" six weeks.  A dear friend reminded me recently that I still have a blog that needs updating (Hey, Lynn.  Love ya and miss you guys bunches!) so I thought I would try jumping back in.  I have encountered a great deal of loss this past nine months.  I guess I'm not dealing with it all very well.  

December 17th, 2009 my sweet grandmother left this world to join my grandfather in heaven.  They both hold such a special  place in my heart.  Some of you longtime readers may remember the quilt I made commemorating her 90th birthday.  I'm so glad I finally got it finished and to her.  She was so proud of that quilt and the fact that I had made it.  She was one of my greatest cheerleaders!!  
Each block on the quilt held a signature of friends who attended her 90th birthday party.  What a sweet time that was.  I'm so glad I got to spend so much time with her the last couple of months of her life.  I miss her terribly.







In June, I was so excited to be able to join dear friends from our time living in Illinois at Myrtle Beach for a week.  What a great time that was just relaxing on the beach, at the pool or at the many of the wonderful restaurants in Myrtle Beach.  During my trip, though, our sweet dog Scout, who had been sick for a while, took a turn for the worse and died.  Now I know many would say that he was just a dog but that's not the way we see things at our house.  The pets we have (the MANY pets we have) are really members of our family.  We take them quite seriously here.  It was a real heartbreak not to be able to say goodbye to him.  We "rescued" Scout in December, 2003 and he was such a good dog.  He is missed.

July 22 brought not quite so permanent a loss but a loss, nonetheless.  Our baby girl left to go off to college.  The problem is that she is clear over on the other side of the country in Spokane, WA.  It's not like I can just jump in my little car and go see her on the spur of the moment or that she can even come home for a weekend visit!!  Her leaving brings us an empty nest.  We are so proud of her and are cheering her on whole-heartedly but, man, what an adjustment this is.  So many have told me that when we do finally adjust, we will love it but at this point I'm still not so sure about that.  I have kids spread out all over this country and, just so you know, this mama isn't so happy about that!  I REALLY miss my kids!!

So sorry this post has been such a downer.  I'm just keeping it real and letting you see what's been going on inside and why, I think, I have been so quiet on the blogging.  I do hope to get back to it on a regular basis(Lynn!!) so that you can keep up with my boring little life.  HaHa!!  Excitement I don't need.  Calm would be nice!!!

Thanks for stopping by!!










1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Oh -- I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother and your sweet little dog. It's so sad when we lose those close to us. And I share your feelings about animals -- when our dog died, our house just felt so empty -- for months. Good Luck with your empty nest. Mine has been empty for a few years now and I don't think I'll ever really adjust -- although, I will say, when they come home, after a few days, I'm ready to get back to my schedule. ;-)