Friday, September 26, 2008

Mums and Fall Pumpkins

When it comes to gardening I am a total failure. Two brown thumbs!! It is so great that the couple we bought this house from were pros at landscaping. I watch in amazement as each season changes to see what the gardens are going to bring forth. Our gorgeous mums are all abloom.
Last year as I began decorating for fall I bought two large pumpkins and set them out in the beds. My true nature took over as winter fell upon us and the pumpkin just melted into obscurity. In other words, as they rotted in the flower beds I did nothing with them. My daughter and one of her friends carried one off to the fields next door and played "smash the melon" until it was pulp. The other pumpkin stayed right where I had placed it.

After our spring bulbs began to die off something else began to appear from under the soil. You guessed it!! We had a pumpkin plant in our front flower bed. Curiosity got the best of us and we left it for the summer.
You can see it has not been cut loose from the vine yet. We need to do this soon as we have just discovered that another is on it's way.
I'm so excited to have a pumpkin for fall decorating with possibly another on the way. The sad fact remains that if I had planted the pumpkin intentionally I never would have gotten one. Mrs. Brown Thumbs is here to stay!!

Thanks for stopping by. Happy Quilting!!

2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

How Fun to have that volunteer pumpkin (and lucky too!) I laughed at your thread on airplane story. I've dropped lots of sewing stuff on planes, but they've never rolled all the way down the aisle LOL!

Janet said...

What a happy result from procrastination :0)
Nice pumpkin!